Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Easy, durable, knitted washcloths - no turning up your nose! They are great!

Alright, sorry for the delay in blog posts, but as I've said on my Facebook page, the toddler got to my laptop and bam all my posts were gone! :P Soo, between writing and doing lesson plans for DW's schooling (yes, I homeschool), writing my posts for the SPD Blogger Network and attempting to write another article for another SPD book and then running to and from appts all week, I may have gotten a little behind. Thank you for being so awesome though and sticking with me!

So, the theme in the Blue Collar home is to use, use and use until you can't use anything anymore. Even if it means re-purposing something or using scraps to make things. Now, leave it to my mother to take it one step further and make me something soo awesome that I won't use anything else! I know the concept will seem foreign to some of you and to be truthful, I was a bit turned off at the idea as well. I did trudge forward with an open mind and now won't use anything else!



That's right, dishcloths! :D Seriously it takes very little yarn to do this! And they are so much better than those dishcloths I've bought at the store! So, here is the pattern on how to knit them via my mom. Now before I put this pattern down to words, please keep in mind I am not a knitter. So, if you have questions, let me know and I'll ask her and get back to you.



Materials: 
1 Small ball of COTTON yarn, like Sugar & Cream brand
Size 6, 7, or 8 needle, depending upon how loose you want your stitch.

Directions: 
Cast on 5 stitches (this is the beginning corner of the washcloth)
Row 1: Knit all the way across.
Row 2: Knit 2, yarn over and knit across.
Row 3 and beyond: Turn and repeat row 2 until 44 stitches are on the needle.
Decrease rows:
Knit 1, knit 2 together, yarn over
Knit 2 together, knit across,
repeat until 5 stitches are on the needle and bind off.

The great thing about this is you use those scraps of yarn that you've got lying around and you can even mix the colors. She made me several dishcloths like that! Anyway, I hope you don't turn your nose up like I did and trust me when I say, these are fantastic and a great way to use up yarn and give you durable washcloths that you can continue to use for a long time.


                                                Featured on:

     

No comments:

Post a Comment