Monday, April 1, 2013

Gluten Free "Ketchup Burger" or BBQ burgers...You decide!

Weird title for a blog post, I know. Here's the thing, sometimes when we get on a roll here, we are on a roll and can't be stopped. And maybe sometimes I get a bit distracted and don't necessarily get all my ducks lined up in a row before I begin a recipe. Every now and again though, they turn out pretty tasty, this happens to be one of those recipes!

I was bopping along when I realized that I had no gf Worcestershire sauce. Mistake realized, I just kept going in the hopes that it would turn out well, it smelled great, so why not? Daring, I know!

I would site where I got the recipe from but, apparently in my haste, I'd scribbled it on a piece of paper and no mention of where I got it from...worried that I was going to loose it was partially the reason for this post! ;)  If you figure it out, by all means share and I'll definitely give credit where credit is due!

Photo courtesy of: DW my oldest son. Love this kid!

Ketchup Burgers:
1/2 cp of ketchup
2tbs brown sugar
1 tbs dijon mustard
1tbs honey*
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tbs molasses
(for BBQ burgers: 2tbs of Worcestershire sauce)


  • Mix together in a bowl and add whatever amount of sauce you desire atop of any burger, as you grill it. Or do what we do and mix a little of it in a burger. 
  • Now, I don't always have the dijon mustard on hand either. So, in those times, while it's not the same, I will use an equal amount of honey and regular mustard. 
  • *Normally we use raw honey but, when I'm making BBQ like things or sauces like this, I use cinnamon honey. In particular I used Better Bee's cinnamon honey in this recipe. 
  • Also, we used crushed GF pretzels in our burgers as well, so if you can do gluten, bread crumbs or crackers could be good. Otherwise, if you're GF and not an airhead like me on a bad day, you can prepare and use your own GF breadcrumbs. 


We make these so often, we no longer really make a batch of BBQ sauce, we just eyeball the ingredients and add straight to our ground meat, along with several cloves of diced or chopped garlic, and a bit of salt and pepper to taste.

So, how did we get the name "Ketchup Burgers"? Well, my son who never wants to try anything new, agreed to try them when he saw me putting ketchup into the burgers. Well, long story short, we also happened to not have GF Worcestershire sauce on hand either. Though I'll be honest, they still tasted amazing! Anyway, when I told him it was lunch time, he asked if these were the ketchup burgers. The name just stuck! Whether you want Ketchup Burgers or make the BBQ sauce, well that's for you to decide!

Hope you all are having a fantastic day! If not, grab a glass of tea and enjoy the signs of spring we're finally seeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment