Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My favorite snack

I have been under the weather the last few days and don't feel like eating a whole lot. Nor do I feel like making a whole three course meal for myself when I finally get hungry. So, I'm sure we've all done this at one time or another but, I had to share just in case!

This is a very cheap, albeit really not healthy exactly but, good in a pinch for a snack. It's warm, and crunchy. Yet harbors a warm, delicate moist inside and is salty yet packed with flavor if you add a few extra things during the making of it. I never have left overs in my house! You can do his with zucchini as well if you happen to have a few extra's lying around


My version of: Fried Eggplant

INGREDIENTS:
Eggs
Crushed, saltine crackers
1 eggplant

DIRECTIONS:
Simply cut the ends off of your eggplant.
Peel the skin off of it.

Pour enough oil in the pan to cover at least an inch, preferably a bit more. Turn the oil up to at least med high heat.

Crush your crackers. Either the old fashioned way by putting a bunch of crackers in a baggy and then crushing them. Or the fast, easy way by pulsing them in a food processor. If you go by my mother that is all you need but, I like to add some garlic salt to the crushed crackers. Then just mix it up a bit.

Crack open some eggs and give them a quick mix to make sure they're blended well.

In case you can't tell, there really is no magic number of how many crackers you need or how many eggs you'll need. It depends on the size of the eggplant really. You'll most likely use a minimum of 4 eggs and a minimum of 1 package of crackers. Nothing less than this or you'll be struggling to coat and cover your eggplant.

Slice your eggplant. You can do it in thinly or thicker. Your preference! Coat the eggplant in your eggs, then the cracker, garlic salt mix. Make sure to coat the slices thoroughly.

Then place into hot oil. You can check the oil temp with a wooden toothpick, when it begins to boil around it, you know the oil is ready. Simply cook til golden brown and flip. Once golden on both sides remove to a paper towel covered plate, to absorb the oil. It really only takes a few minutes.




This is what you get! Look at them, crunchy on the outside, soft, delicate and moist on the inside. The garlic salt, gives you just enough flavor on top of it all!! I've even been known to season with a bit of salt AND pepper after removing to the paper towel. Hmmm soo good! :) So very cheap to make too! Especially when you get them for free from neighbors, well meaning family members or best of all a local farmer's market!

Again, if you try it, let me know if you like it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment