Thursday, March 15, 2012

What Grandma's Family REALLY Ate on St. Patrick's Day, Plus a Lot of Great St. Patrick's Day Links!



Alright, this may sound strange but, I really dislike jumping on the St. Patty's Day bandwagon but, there are a lot of goodies out there that are too good for me to let pass by! That being said, don't cringe when I say this and hear me out before you riot on me....corned beef, while technically an Irish dish, is not really what my Irish immigrant, ancestors ate, or yours really. I mean if you were to trace the history of it, it would date back to Ireland and all but, it is not what everyday Irish people typically eat! Alright, alright, don't get your knickers all twisted!  ; 0)  I've got the mother of all St. Paddy's Day post for you to make up for my heresy! I will also offer you some true Irish dishes and what it was that our ancestors were really making instead of corned beef! I promise, it will be worth it!

So, I'll ease into this and share the fun stuff first! I love this St. Patrick's Day party from Creative Juice! It's just fun, bright and cute and I could easily see my boys having a good time with this. There are a ton of free printables at this link too!


Speaking of printables, I know I shared this on my Facebook page but, this is so jammed packed full, I'd be brain dead to not share it again! 60 FREE printables at that link! It would take me ages to try and find all of them there. Hani is my hero!
There are also a lot of printables here at FamilyEducation.com. Including Drawing Your Own Leprachaun  or a Shamrock Wish Mobile or even this hat! If printables won't hold your children's attention, they also have crafts here!
If you need something a little more inventive and natural, check this wreath out from Patty's Make It Monday! It's just gorgeous!


Now, that we're in decoration and party mode, you can't have a party without drinks of course! 
This one is from Kamiko over at The Beachside Baker. I so want one of these! 
You can find some more great drink ideas from Craftomaniac, whose Shamrock Juice I shared on my FB page. There is also Carolina Heart Strings' Irish Mint Julep if you need a more...sturdier drink! ; )

Now onto the food. I know that Cheryl from Tidymom shared an amazing post she put together earlier this week and I would be remiss if I did not share it here. That being said, I was careful to make sure that the things I bring you here are not the same by any means. She still has some incredible things over there!
First up on my green day foodie list is of course Diane's doughnuts from Created by Diane! I've got another goody from her a little later in the post! 

Continuing on with the fun stuff, check An Affair from the Heart's Irish Cream Cheesecake. I mean who doesn't love Irish Cream Cheesecake?! Not green enough or mint enough? How about Chocolate Chocolate and More's delicious looking, Grasshoper Pie?
Too green? Then how about Diane's Mint Chocolate Cake? The inside alone is truly AMAZING! You have to take just a minute if you have not yet and check it out! Alright pies and doughnuts-- or is it donuts, anyway, if neither of these appeal to you, Bridget from Bake at 350 made these delicious Hint O Mint Cookies you really have to check out! 

Alright, now onto the main courses! I figure I have to have it somewhere, so here's a Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
The next two recipes come from one of my favorite sites for Irish food, Your Irish. It's more like what my grandmother used to make! Here's a great Irish Potato Soup from there. Then there is their Irish Poundies, JUST like grandma used to make! 

You can't have soup without some sort of bread or roll, here's a link for Irish Soda Bread and my personal childhood favorite, Irish Potato Bread. Now, grandma and I would eat these for breakfast but, growing up, everyone on the farm would just soak up their soup with their leftover bread. So, it's ingrained in my head somewhere that you have to have bread with soup!

Finally, you want to see what grandma's family really used to make, instead of the American tradition of corned beef and cabbage?
If you follow that link, it will go into depth about the dish and I believe, though it's been a while since I've really read it, there should be a link, explaining the history of this dish!

Saol Fada Chugat
(Long Life to You)
Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit 
I had to have a friend type that out so I could copy it but, it supposedly translates to Happy St. Patrick's Day! Though I do have the kind of friends that like to cause a little mayhem now and again, so take that phrase with a grain of salt!  =0)



No comments:

Post a Comment