Thursday, December 23, 2010

A cookie sure to impress, The Best, Big, Fat Chocolate Chip Cookie!

Still looking for that one goodie that is sure to impress someone? Some people are soo hard to please! I should know, my in-laws were always terrible for that. While I could have a whole neighborhood in love with some candy, bread or cookie I made, they would always turn up their nose. Let me tell you, I never cared to impress them per say but, just once I wanted to see that look on their face....break through their facade. Though I'm not bitter or anything. 


Ok, maybe a little but, so that you do not have to have that sting that will haunt you for years to come I've decided to share my favorite cookie recipe. I found it on the internet years ago at one of those generic recipe sites, that might offer up one good recipe but, not until you've dug through 400 of them! This one though was so amazing, that it kept me going back now and again just to see. 


I only pull it out when I've run out of ideas or am really trying to impress. This year, I just ran out of time to find something new and different so, the neighbors and relatives are going to get this goodie! :) 




Best Big, Fat Chocolate Chip Cookie

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted  (comes to about 1 1/2 sticks)

  • 1 cup packed brown sugar

  • 1/2 cup white sugar

  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

  • 1 egg

  • 1 egg yolk

  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips



Directions

  • Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
  • Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
  • Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Here's my tips:
When you melt the butter, make sure that you do it gently and not super heat it. It needs to be as close to room temp as you can get it. 

Also, if you're using generic vanilla, that has the vanillan in it, add a smidge more. I do this to all my cookies and they taste so much better. It's not as good as a good quality but, when you buy the generic, they give you that huge container. So, adding 1/8 - 1/2 tsp more, is not that big of a deal. 

It always comes out to about 1 1/2 dozen in a batch. So, if you want to make more, double the recipe. 



When they're done and cool completely, you will have a HUGE cookie. The kind you see in those cookies stores that you pay upwards of $5 for and you did it yourself. Everyone is going to want you to make them or harass you for the recipe! In the picture above you can see it on the spatula how big they are. That spatula is 5 1/2 in. x 3 1/2!

Go ahead give it a go, and of course, just to make sure that they turn out good, you have to try one......maybe two just be sure....ok three just to make sure that they're consistent, right?! :) 

Happy Holidays!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment